Are you interested in supporting Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge/Battle of Midway National Memorial? We encourage you to apply for a position on the board of directors of the Friends of Midway Atoll (FOMA).
Our working board is seeking individuals to assist us in making our 2022-2024 Initiatives a reality, and to bring creative energy and expertise to our work.
In addition to board members, we’re also actively recruiting volunteers!
If you’re unable to commit to board service at this time, you may use the same application process to indicate what skills and talents you’d like to share with FOMA.
What are the key tasks of a board member?
- Attend monthly board meetings online
- Join and support the work of at least one committee
- Participate in the annual retreat to help shape and guide FOMA’s vision
- Advocate for the refuge and the monument
- Use your special interests, knowledge, and skills to create, implement and sustain opportunities for sharing Midway’s extraordinary stories
- Help promote FOMA’s online merchandise
- Contribute to our e-newsletter
What kind of skills and characteristics would be helpful to FOMA as a Board member?
- Passionate about preserving, protecting, and restoring the biological diversity, historic and cultural resources of Kuaihelani (Midway Atoll ) within the larger Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Experience in (or willingness to learn) nonprofit board governance
- Familiarity with matters of interest to FOMA and the Monument
- Bring good will and a sense of humor to the board’s deliberations
- Willing to share opinions and contribute to decision making
- Participate in an annual Board Self Evaluation
What kind of skills and knowledge would be helpful to FOMA as an ongoing volunteer?
- Interest in Hawai‘i and the Northwest Hawaiian Islands, especially its natural and human history and culture
- Skills in writing, editing, researching, compiling, educating, technology, marketing, outreach, note taking, and/or fundraising
- Time and interest to work with a small and committed group of volunteers with a passion for Kuaihelani—Pihemanu—Midway Atoll
Time and Availability
The board meets monthly as does each committee. Since Midway is not accessible to us, we operate as a distributed team through virtual technologies. This means that we’ve perfected our Zoom-ing aptitudes. Geographically we are scattered from Tasmania to Boston with folks in multiple time zones in between. Refuge staff participate in our meetings, providing regular updates to ensure we’re informed to support their work. We do anticipate occasional in person events when this fits the work, and board members availability and schedule.
If you are interested in serving on the board, here are our key deliverables and dates:
- By Oct. 31, please submit a brief resume, bio, a statement explaining why you would like to serve on the FOMA Board, and share your particular volunteer interests via this online application form
- By Nov. 20 you can expect a contact from the Governance Committee about your interest and to schedule an interview with Governance Committee members.
- The Governance Committee will make its recommendations for new board members to the FOMA Board during its Dec. 18 meeting, when it will vote on new members.
- Newly appointed board members will be notified by Dec. 20
- New members will be invited to the first meeting of the new year scheduled for Jan. 18, 2023, and be included in a new board member onboarding process to orient you to our team, how we operate, and your responsibilities
Applicants are encouraged to explore our website prior to applying.
Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Click here to download a recruitment announcement to share with other Friends.