Hawaiian name: Pokalakala
Scientific name: Onychoprion lunatus
- Life Span: > 20 years
- Wingspan: 73-76 cm (29-30 in)
- Breeding Ecology:
- Breeds singly or in loose colonies; nest is small depression on ground
- 1 egg/clutch, 1 clutch/year (egg replacement may occur)
- Egg-laying occurs from February through March
- Incubation lasts around 30 days
- Fledging occurs from September through October
- Distribution limited to central Pacific Ocean, breeds in Northwestern Hawaiian Islands.
- Nesting pairs breed on Eastern and Spit Islands. Extirpated from Sand Island during military era.